Energy-based treatments are nonsurgical procedures that are performed for cosmetic reasons or to solve age-related conditions, such as lack of vaginal tightness and urinary incontinence. Two main types of energy-based treatments such as radiofrequency or laser energy provide a non-surgical option for vaginal rejuvenation.
Laser-based treatment usually entails the use of the Fractional CO2 or Nd:YAG laser. By emitting pulses of laser energy into the vaginal tissue, damaging the surface of the skin and enables the body to repair. Through the healing process, collagen production is stimulated. This helps to tighten the vagina, improve lubrication, and can also help in urinary incontinence.
Unlike RF, laser-based treatment would require a minimal recovery period of a few days and requires patients to abstain from sexual intercourse after every treatment. Usually about 3 sessions.
• You will instructed to stop taking blood thinners medications (NSAIDS).
• If you smoke, you will be asked to stop smoking at least two weeks before.
• Wearing loosest panties as much as possible.
• Avoid stressful activities like heavy exercises 1 week before.
• Eat healthy, and drink plenty of water in the days leading up to the procedure.
• It is highly recommended that you trim/shave your pubic hair prior the procedure.
• Immediately prior to leaving home for the clinic, you will be required to light shower and thoroughly clean it.
Energy-based treatments can be done in your doctor’s office. Little, if any, anesthetic is used during the procedure before beginning the administration. The device will be place inside your vagina during the treatment. There might be a slight burning sensation when the laser energy heats and burns the surface of the skin and lining. This may require some time to recuperate and application of topical cream for healing.
Expect some slight discomfort, redness and mild swelling.
It is recommended to abstain from sexual intercourse or the use of tampon for a few days after.
Results may show after the first session but it is recommended to have a series of about 3 sessions for maximum results.
Side effects can include redness, swelling, tenderness, vaginal discharge, cramping and scarring.